Biophysicist - Molecular Order in 3D
Led by Shalin Mehta, the Advanced Optical Microscopy platform at the Chan Zuckerberg Biohub pursues measurement of physical properties of biological systems with increasing precision, resolution, and throughput. We exploit diverse light-matter interactions and algorithms to measure architecture and dynamics of molecules, organelles, cells, organoids, and tissues.
We are looking for a Biophysicist/Bioengineer to measure architecture and dynamics of molecules and organelles. The primary application of these measurements is to reveal lifecycle of pathogens (viruses, bacteria, protozoa) within host cells or tissues, and enable discovery of therapeutic opportunities.
WHAT WE PROVIDE
- Resources to invent disruptive technology that advances knowledge of biology and diseases.
- A collegial and collaborative environment consisting of diverse expertise. We collaborate with Biohub’s research teams focused on Infectious Diseases, Cell Atlas, Bioengineering, Genome Editing, and Data Science.
- Access to collaborators, resources and facilities at UCSF, Berkeley and Stanford.
- Competitive compensation and benefits commensurate with the experience.
- Conceiving and executing assays for imaging physical properties of molecular assemblies and organelles.
- Collaborative development of microscopes and algorithms for retrieval of physical properties of the specimen from multi-dimensional data.
- Collaborating with biologists within the Biohub and at partner institutes on biophysical measurements to address diverse biological and translational questions.
- PhD or MS in biophysics, biological imaging, structural biology, cell biology, or a related discipline. Candidates with MS are expected to have at least 3 years of research experience.
- Experience in designing quantitative experiments based on label-free and fluorescence microscopes.
- 'Power user' of diverse imaging methods.
- Proficiency in scientific programming and image analysis.
- Experience with cell culture and transfection.
- Experience developing imaging methods.
- Experience in the field of host-pathogen interactions or mechanobiology.
- Visualization and modeling of protein structure.
- Expertise in using diverse fluorescent probes (genetic, HaloTag, Click Chemistry) for optical microscopy.
This opportunity is full-time only. No contractors, consultancies or recruiters will be considered. CZ Biohub is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.